The Way
Welcome!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Way
Welcome!
The Way
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lectio Divina

Go down

Lectio Divina Empty Lectio Divina

Post  AndrewA Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:32 am

"Oh how I love your law!
It is my meditation all the day." Psalm 119:97

"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." Joshua 1:8

Meditation is not just a Hindu/Buddhist thing. We are told meditate day and night. Instead of just reading through the scriptures mindlessly, we are to meditate on them allowing the Spirit to convict us to change.
Lectio Divina is a form of scripture meditation systemized in the 12th century by Catholic monks. It is a very effective way to do a devotional on short passages. Here are the steps described by Wikipedia, but I changed up some of the strange stuff.

Lectio
This first moment consists in reading the scriptural passage slowly, attentively several times. Many write down words in the scripture that stick out to them or grasp their attention during this moment.

Meditatio
The Christian, gravitating around the passage or one of its words, takes it and ruminates on it, thinking in God’s presence about the text. He or she benefits from the Holy Spirit’s ministry of illumination, i.e. the work of the Holy Spirit that imparts spiritual understanding of the sacred text. It is not a special revelation from God, but the inward working of the Holy Spirit, which enables the Christian to grasp the revelation contained in the Scripture. Meditate on how this scripture fits in your life.

Contemplatio
This moment is characterized by a simple, loving focus on God. In other words, it is a beautiful, wordless contemplation of God, a joyful rest in His presence.

Operatio
Apply the situation to your own life and share with others.
AndrewA
AndrewA

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum